Total Time: 5 minutes
|Nutritional per serving|
This awesome Banana Oatmeal recipe is a great way to start any day but it’s really designed as a solid post workout breakfast.
Specifically, it provides a generous helping of protein and sports a healthy macronutrient balance to give you the best chance of taking advantage of the post workout anabolic window.
If you’re into fasted training, if you’re pushed for time then your only option may be a post workout shake. However, there’s a lot to be said about eating real food to achieve your body composition goals so a recipe like this is a worthy addition to your healthy meal arsenal.
Banana Oatmeal is so quick to prepare, there’s no excuses for not eating a proper breakfast before work. And, you could even take the ingredients into the office and enjoy your oatmeal with your morning coffee.
- 45g dry oats (preferably jumbo oats)
- 20g vanilla whey protein powder
- 200ml skimmed milk
- 40g blueberries
- 1 small banana (about 85g)
- 1 teaspoon ground flax seed
Banana Oatmeal Directions
- Weigh out the oatmeal in a cereal bowl
- Add the whey powder and mix thoroughly
- Add the milk, stir and microwave on full power for 2 minutes
- Remove from the microwave, add the blueberries and stir well
- Microwave on medium power for 1 minute
- Slice the banana and add to the cereal with the flax seed, stir well
- Sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon
Tips & alternatives
From a nutrient standpoint, we’ve added blueberries, flax seed and cinnamon, awesome superfoods renowned for their health benefits. If you want to learn more about superfoods, we have a growing list of articles in our superfood series section so head over there for more info.
If this one’s a bit too heavy on a the calories, there are a few other oatmeal recipes which may be a bit lighter; check them out and let us know what you think.
Is the anabolic window a myth? It seems to be open for debate at the moment, but it’s not yet a closed subject so it’s probably a good idea to get some protein and carbs after a resistance training session if you’re looking to add muscle.
What do you think of this recipe? Please take the time to let us know by dropping a comment below 🙂