|Nutritional per serving|
This Black Bean Chilli recipe is super tasty and an ideal as winter warmer. It takes a bit longer to prepare than our normal recipes but it’s very easy and is packed full of nutritious ingredients.
Makes 4 servings
- 200g uncooked brown rice
- 1 can black beans, drained (425g; 319 kcal)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chipotle chilli paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil on a medium heat and sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes until soft.
- Mix in the garlic, chilli powder & cumin and cook for 1 minute further.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper & oregano then bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until the liquid starts to evaporate.
- Add the chipotle, black beans and lower the heat, cooking for 30-40 minutes.
- Cook the brown rice as per the instructions allowing at least 30 minutes to ensure it softens
- Once the chilli is done, remove from the heat and stir in the coriander.
- Serve by sharing out the chilli and rice evenly.
Tips & Alternatives
As this is a vegan free recipe each serving is a bit lower in protein than it would be if it contained meat. The beans provide some quality protein but if you need to bump it up a bit you could try adding tofu which is probably the best protein alternative to meat. You can also try pretty much any canned beans as it’s a very versatile recipe.