Total Time: 1 hour
|Nutritional per serving|
This super Black Bean Quinoa Salad is meat free, packed full of healthy goodness and low in calories. And with sweet potatoes, garlic, herbs and a simple lemon juice and olive oil dressing, it’s a killer combo for a summery, sophisticated salad.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 100g canned black beans (75 kcal)
- 50g cooked quinoa (60 kcal)
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped, fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice ½ fresh lemon
- Handful mixed salad leaves
- Handful mixed salad vegetables (e.g. cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper)
Black Bean Quinoa Salad Directions
Step 1 – Prepare a batch of sweet potatoes, quinoa and black beans
- Preheat the oven to 200c, cut the sweet potatoes into strips or cubes, place on a baking tray and sprinkle with paprika & mixed dried herbs to your taste.
- Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes and start preparing everything else.
- Prepare the quinoa by following the instructions on the packet and once done measure out 50g for the salad and placing any left over in a sealed container and place in the fridge for future usage.
- Cook the black beans according to the instructions (the quickest way will be to use the microwave), measure out 100g and place the remainder in the fridge in a sealed container.
Step 2 – Prepare the salad
- In a large salad bowl, combine 50g sweet potatoes, the black beans, quinoa, red onion, & parsley and mix well.
- For the dressing, in small bowl combine and thoroughly mix the lemon juice, dried basil, olive oil, salt and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the lettuce leaves and salad vegetables to the dressing bowl and toss well.
- Combine everything on one plate.
Tips & alternatives
We’ve added sweet potatoes to this recipe (because we love them!) but feel free to leave them out if you like. If you do decide to leave them out, each serving will be less by 50 kcal and will contain 12g less carbs.
Also, for the purpose of this recipe we’re using canned black beans but you could opt for the dried, uncooked type. Canned black beans should already be cooked so you can use them straight out of the tin, however, you could heat them through if you’d prefer and you should definitely rinse them as they often contain indigestible sugars. To be sure, though, check the label for the cooking instructions.
If you like the sound of this Black Bean Quinoa Salad recipe, you may like to check out some of our other quinoa recipes. Also, if you’re interested in learning more about quinoa, head over to our quinoa superfood series article which should have everything you need to know.
Photo source: shutterstock