|Nutritional per serving|
As we showed in one of our previous recipes, falafel is super easy to make and is great for anyone looking for a meat free lunch or dinner. Falafel will keep in the fridge for about a week so if you prepare it in advance you can knock up this healthy wrap in about 5 minutes.
For this recipe we’ve used protein bread as it’s lower in carbs and much higher in protein than you’re average wheat based bread. If you haven’t come across this concept yet we encourage you to check it out; there’s loads of information online about it and most good stores are stocking it these days. The great thing about protein bread is that it makes an ideal accompaniment to this sort of meat free lunch as, when it comes to protein to calorie ratio, it’s difficult to find a suitable alternative to meat. If you can’t find it, note that the carbs and protein listed in this recipe will be different.
Made from roasted pepper, serano peppers, other hot chillies, herbs and spices, Harrisa paste is a hot chilli paste from Africa and the Middle East (mainly Tunisia, Libya, Algeria and Morocco). It’s great as a condiment to lots of dishes but particularly good to give mayonnaise an interesting, spicy twist. If you can’t find Harissa, you could use an similar chilli paste to make the mayo so play around with it for a bit.
- 65g Falafel
- 1 protein bread tortilla (156 kcal)
- handful fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp harissa mayo
- To make the harissa mayo, thoroughly mix 1-2 teaspoons of harissa paste into 4 tablespoons (~60g) light mayonnaise. This should make about 4 servings.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of harissa mayo evenly through the centre of the protein tortilla
- Break up some falafel and spread on top of the mayo
- Add a handful of fresh spinach and roll the tortilla into a tight wrap.