Total Time: 30 minutes
|Nutritional per serving|
Another great recipe for lovers of meat free cuisine, this super simple, Healthy Falafel Salad, is low in calories per serving and provides a nice serving of protein to boot.
For the falafel
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of each: Sea salt, garlic powder, hot pepper flakes, paprika
Olive oil, for frying
For the salad
- Mixed greens or mesclun greens
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 50g cup crumbled feta cheese, half fat
- Your choice of salad dressing (Such as olive oil/balsamic vinegar blend, tzatziki sauce, or creamy Feta dressing)
Healthy Falafel Salad Directions
- Mash the chickpeas with the back of a fork until fairly uniform – you still want a few chunks of chickpea left in the falafel.
- Mix in garlic, onion, olive oil, flour, lemon juice, parsley, and dried spices. Form into small patties, about the size of an Oreo cookie.
- Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Place falafel patties in the pan and cook for approximately three minutes on each side, or until nicely browned. Place falafel on a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Place salad greens and tomatoes on a large serving platter.
- Place falafel on the salad and top with Feta cheese.
- Serve with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, tzatziki sauce, or creamy Feta dressing.
Tips & alternatives
If you drop the feta cheese, you can easily turn this into a super healthy Vegan Falafel Recipe. Also, if you like the sound of this Healthy Falafel Salad, check out our awesome Falafel Wrap recipe which is one of our favourites.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Cheap Recipe Blog