Total Time: 20 minutes
|Nutritional per serving|
This healthy sausage & egg muffin is a perfect example of how easy it is to turn a traditionally unhealthy breakfast into something that delivers a nutritional punch which not only tastes great but will give you that feeling of indulgence without the guilt. We don’t recommend that you have this every day as it’s not exactly low in calories but it makes for a great weekend treat to reward yourself for your efforts. Indulge, you’ve earned it!
- 1 wholewheat English muffin
- 1 large sized egg
- 1 good quality pork sausage
- 2 tbsp of tomato ketchup or brown sauce
- Grill the sausage according to the instructions on your chosen product. Usually 15-20 mins under a medium heated grill.
- When the sausage is just about done, poach the egg by boiling about 2 inches of water in a pan and add a dash of salt and a touch of vinegar.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and swirl the water with a ladle to create a vortex.
- Crack the egg and carefully drop the egg into the centre of the vortex.
- Poach the egg for 2-3 minutes depending on how you like it, toast the muffin whilst the egg is poaching.
- Put everything together and add the ketchup or brown sauce as you desire.
Tips & Alternatives
Processed meats – such as sausage, bacon and ham – have recently come under scrutiny due to their alleged adverse health impacts and potential to contribute to the development of serious illnesses such as heart disease and cancer. The UK government recommends eating no more than 70g of red, processed meat per day to avoid any potential health issues so it would be wise to try to bear this in mind to ensure you maintain a healthy, balanced diet.