(per 1 serving)
Calories: 492 Fat: 33g
Protein: 37g Carbohydrates: 13g
21-Oct 2016, by Lee Sandwith
This amazing Keto Scrambled Eggs recipe is so good I’ve been having it pretty much every day. It only takes about 10 minutes to prepare so is ideal for anyone on a tight schedule.
I’ve posted a bunch of scrambled eggs recipes already but this is one has been optimised to support my quest into my latest obsession with the ketogenic diet. My initial self-experiments with the diet have uncovered potential issues with how my body deals with dairy and saturated fat so I’ve adapted this one a bit, using coconut cream instead of milk or butter.
A recent genetic test also uncovered that I should try to shoot for about 250g of cruciferous vegetables in my diet per day so I have a nice side serving of broccoli with this one (more on the genetic test later). I also add spinach and asparagus as they’re both in the top tier of low carb vegetables and comes with a bunch of health benefits.
Carefully selecting your vegetables means that you can still get a good daily dose of micronutrients and fibre every day while staying in ketosis. Tried and tested. More on this later too 🙂
If you’re interested in learning more about the ketogenic diet or have any questions about what I’ve been up to, please let me know by leaving a comment at the bottom of the article. I have lots of articles in the pipeline but would be happy to reprioritise them if there’s a lot of interest.
Also, if you give the Keto Scrambled Eggs recipe a go, let me know what you think.
- 3 medium/large sized eggs
- 50 ml coconut cream
- Handful baby leaf spinach, chopped
- 50g smoked salmon, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 100g fresh broccoli
- 100 g fresh asparagus
- About 1 tablespoon olive oil
Equipment required: steamer pot (preferred) or electric steamer
- Start off by preparing the steamer pot, if you add water and start heating on the stove the water should be boiled within about 5 minutes by which time you should have prepared all of the ingredients.
- Rinse and chop the broccoli and asparagus and place in the steamer pot insert and set aside.
- Chop spinach and smoked salmon and place to the side.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl or measuring jug then add the coconut cream and whisk until mixed consistently.
- Once all of the ingredients are ready, add the broccoli and asparagus to the steamer pot and set a timer at 5 minutes.
- Gently heat a non-stick saucepan for 1 minute, then add the olive oil and heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the egg mix to the saucepan and stir constantly with a wooden spatula, raising the heat slightly.
- Keep stirring, ensuring that the egg doesn’t stick to the pan, until the eggs are starting to cook and are no longer runny.
- Add the smoked salmon to the pan, mix thoroughly then add the spinach, stirring until mixed.
- Cook the eggs to your preference taking them off the heat while waiting for the broccoli to cook.
- Once everything is cooked, add to a plate and season with black pepper.
- If you’ve timed it right, your veggies should be ready so combine everything and enjoy!!
Tips & Alternatives
If you don’t have any concerns or issues with saturated fat, instead of using olive oil in the saucepan you could opt for coconut oil. Coconut oil is rich in MCTs and will definitely help you get into ketosis; to boot, it will add some amazing flavour to your scrambled eggs.
Image courtesy BBC Food – My recipe obviously looks different than this but I’m not very good at taking photos, yet 🙂