Total Time: 1 hour
|Nutritional per serving|
Another great winter warmer, this Black Bean and Lentil Chilli is super tasty, very easy to prepare and nutritionally well balanced. Although it’s vegan, it still provides a good amount of quality protein on account of the Black Beans and Lentils.
In keeping with our preference towards good quality, complex carbs we are using brown rice instead of white as it will keep you fuller for longer, helping you keep your daily calories down.
Makes 4 servings
- 100g raw, uncooked brown rice
- 200g dried, uncooked lentils
- 1 can black beans, drained (425g; 319 kcal)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried paprika
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 tbsp fresh, chopped coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic & paprika, mix and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the peppers, jalapeño, black beans, lentils & thyme.
- Pour in 250ml water, bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and cook for a further 20-30 minutes.
- Cook the brown rice as per the instructions allowing at least 30 minutes to ensure it softens
- Season with salt and black pepper, stir in the coriander and remove from the heat.
- Serve by sharing our the chilli and rice evenly
Tips & Alternatives
If you’re cooking for one you can prepare a batch of chilli which will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you’re feeling creative you could even have a shot at making a healthy chilli pitta or wrap for your lunch box.