(per 1 serving)
Calories: 100 Fat: 5g
Protein: 5g Carbohydrates: 11g
At 100 kcal per serving, this amazing Sautéed Brussels Sprouts recipe is an ideal side for anyone looking to watch the waist-line.
Makes 6 servings
- 3 slices bacon, sliced into ½-inch (1 cm) pieces
- 575 g brussels sprouts, stems and leaves trimmed, then cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 250 ml skimmed milk
- Freshly ground pepper
- Shaved Canadian Parmesan for serving (optional)
- Cook bacon in a large frying pan over medium heat until crisp, about 5 min.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a large bowl.
- Discard all but 1 tbsp fat from pan.
- Add Brussels sprouts and stir-fry until some are a deep golden colour, about 3 min.
- Add ½ cup (125 mL) water.
- Stir and continue to cook Brussels sprouts, stirring occasionally until tender but not mushy, about 5 min.
- Add Brussels sprouts to bacon, using a slotted spoon if any water remains in pan.
- Wash frying pan.
- Melt butter in frying pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic; cook about 1 min.
- Sprinkle with flour and salt; whisk about 1 min.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Whisk for 2 to 3 min until smooth and thickened.
- Return Brussels sprouts and bacon to pan, stir until hot, about 1 min.
- Season with pepper.
- Serve with Parmesan, if using.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Dairy Goodness