Total Time: 30 minutes
|Nutritional per serving|
This Low Carb Pad Thai recipe from Tasteaholics turns the traditional Pad Thai recipe into a low carb, gluten free, keto friendly masterpiece, driven by one simple change: switch out the bog standard pasta based noodles for zucchini noodles.
Thailand is an amazing country to visit and if you know what you’re looking for you can eat healthily every day. That said, if you’re a health food nut, there are some things to watch out for and Pad Thai is one of them as it’s quite unhealthy on account of the noodles.
If you’re all about the low carb then rice, noodles and the like will definitely be off the menu so sampling the famous Pad Thai may not even be an option.
Makes 4 servings (around 7g net carbs per serving)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 16 oz. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 oz. peanuts
Low Carb Pad Thai Directions
- In a wok or a large pan on medium heat, cook the chopped onion in olive oil until translucent. Then cook the garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Season the the boneless skinless chicken thighs and place them in the wok. Let them cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side or until fully cooked.
- Take the chicken thighs out of the wok and shred them using two forks.
- Trim the ends off the zucchini and spiralize them into thin noodles. Set the noodles aside for step 6.
- Create a well in the centre of the wok or pan and crack an egg into it. Allow it to cook for a few seconds and then scramble it into large chunks.
- Once the egg is cooked, toss the zucchini noodles into the pan. Let your noodles cook for just about 2 minutes, tossing continuously.
- Add the shredded chicken thighs and finish it all off with a splash of soy sauce, lime juice and chilli flakes, if using.
- Serve the Chicken Pad Thai with crushed or whole peanuts and lime for garnish. Salt and pepper the dish as needed.
Tips & Alternatives
If you’re a bit confused by the concept of zucchini noodles, check out this recipe as I’ve posted a couple of YouTube videos which should help.
If you’ve enjoyed this Low Carb Pad Thai Chicken recipe, check out our awesome Tum Yum Goong which is, in our humble opinion, off the charts!
And if you’re interested in learning about the world’s healthiest foods you may wish to check out our superfood series section. We have a growing list of articles including, Garlic, Almonds, Flax Seed, Avocado, Broccoli, Cinnamon, Blueberries, Quinoa and more.
Recipe and image source: This culinary creation comes courtesy of Vicky and Rami from NYC, the founders of the awesome Tasteaholics; a wonderful site bursting with quality content, and a stage they use to share their low carb culinary adventures with the rest of the world.