Total Time: 10 minutes
|Nutritional per serving|
You don’t have to be a culinary master to cook a good steak, as demonstrated by this awesome Super Simple Pan Seared Steak recipe. What’s more, it only takes 10 minutes to make and it delivers an impressive balance of macronutrients, if you’re into that kind of thing.
- 170 grams steak (ribeye, sirloin strip, or filet), about 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- 35 grams sliced shiitake mushrooms
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a cast iron (or any heavy bottomed) pan on the stove for about 1 minute, or until a drop of water sizzles when coming in contact with the pan.
- Season your steak generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the seasoned steak to the hot pan.
- Cook your steak for 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare, or until desired doneness is reached. A thicker steak will obviously require a longer cooking time.
- Remove the cooked steak to a plate, then add your butter and mushrooms to the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Remove from the heat.
- Taste the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Add the steak back to the cooling pan and baste it in the butter.
- Let it rest in the warm butter for about 2 minutes.
- Slice and serve warm.
Tips & Alternatives
The cut of steak you use will determine the fat and calories, but won’t impact the carb count.
You can also substitute shiitake with another mushroom, and still get the same umami flavor.
Recipe and photo courtesy of I Breathe I’m Hungry