Total Time: 10 minutes
|Nutritional per serving|
A slightly different take on poached eggs on toast, this breakfast is extremely quick and easy to make and it has been designed with a view to providing a good balance of healthy carbs and protein.
Most people will normally choose two poached eggs, however, unless you’re a giant, one is probably enough. There’s a few different poached eggs recipes in our eBook so given them a try as it’s a great start to anyone’s day.
- 1 slice of wholewheat bread (90 kcal)
- 1 large egg
- 75g lean ham (109 kcal)
- 43g fat free cottage cheese
- 1 tsp light cheese spread
- To get the perfect poached egg, boil about 2 inches of water in a pan and add a dash of salt and a touch of vinegar.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and swirl the water with a ladle to create a vortex.
- Crack the egg and carefully drop it into the centre of the vortex.
- Poach the egg for 2-3 minutes depending on how you like it, toast the bread whilst the egg is cooking.
- Once the toast is done, spread a thin layer of the light cheese and add everything to the plate.
Tips & Alternatives
As there are lots of different types of bread available, ensure you check the nutritional content of your chosen bread and plan to use a serving which delivers around 90 kcal in line with the bread in this example.
50g of smoked salmon is a good alternative to ham so it may be a good idea to switch between the two to ensure you don’t get too much processed meat which may be unhealthy if eaten frequently.