Total Time: 30 minutes
|Nutritional per serving|
With a healthy helping of broccoli and spinach, this hearty Quinoa Soup from Wendy Polisi is sure to give you a power boost and a much needed micronutrient hit. It’s super easy to prepare, tastes great and, thanks to the broccoli and quinoa, it’s suitably thick and creamy!
Makes 10 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 170 grams quinoa, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1650 grams vegetable broth
- 875 grams chopped broccoli
- 1 russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 180 grams Spinach
- 2 tablespoons tahini (1)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (more or less to taste)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 100 grams sharp cheddar cheese or Daiya cheddar shreds
Quinoa Soup Directions
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pan.
- Add onion, salt and pepper and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until tender.
- Add quinoa and garlic and stir for one to two minutes.
- Add in vegetable broth, broccoli and potato.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 35 minutes.
- Remove cover and add spinach, tahini, salt and peppers.
- Cook until spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, transfer to a blender and puree in batches.
- Return to the pan and heat to low, add cheese and cook until melted.
Tips & alternatives
You can add a healthy topping on this soup with a little Greek Yogurt and if you prefer your soup thinner, just add additional vegetable broth until you reach the desired consistency.
If you like the sound of this Quinoa Soup recipe, you like to check out some of our other quinoa recipes. Also, if you’re interested in learning more about quinoa, head over to our quinoa superfood series article which should have everything you need to know.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Wendy Polisi