Total Time: 30 minutes
|Nutritional per serving|
With a healthy helping of broccoli and spinach, this hearty Quinoa Soup from Wendy Polisi is sure to give you a power boost and a much needed micronutrient hit. It’s super easy to prepare, tastes great and, thanks to the broccoli and quinoa, it’s suitably thick and creamy!
Makes 10 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 170 grams quinoa, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1650 grams vegetable broth
- 875 grams chopped broccoli
- 1 russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 180 grams Spinach
- 2 tablespoons tahini (1)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (more or less to taste)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 100 grams sharp cheddar cheese or Daiya cheddar shreds
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pan.
- Add onion, salt and pepper and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until tender.
- Add quinoa and garlic and stir for one to two minutes.
- Add in vegetable broth, broccoli and potato.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 35 minutes.
- Remove cover and add spinach, tahini, salt and peppers.
- Cook until spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat, and allow to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, transfer to a blender and puree in batches.
- Return to the pan and heat to low, add cheese and cook until melted.
Tips & Alternatives
- You can add topping on this soup with a little Greek Yogurt.
- If you prefer your soup thinner, just add additional vegetable broth until you reach the desired consistency.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Wendy Polisi