Total Time: 15 minutes
|Nutritional per serving|
Low in calories and with a slight Middle Eastern twist, this awesome, super Simple Avocado Salad is definitely one to try.
It should only take around 15 minutes to prepare so it’s great for anyone with a busy lifestyle and, to boot, weighing in at only 7g carbs per serving it’s ideal for anyone following a low carb or ketogenic diet.
Makes 2 servings
- 4 Cos lettuce leaves, chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 radishes, finely sliced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 50g cucumber, cut into small cubes
- 25g flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 25g mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped into chunky pieces
- ½ tbsp sumac (a crushed red, lemony berry; find it in Middle Eastern and Indian markets and online)
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Simple Avocado Salad Directions
- For the dressing, mix the crushed garlic with a pinch of salt, the lemon juice and olive oil. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Combine the salad ingredients in a bowl, season and toss with the dressing just before serving.
- Serve with Crisp Za’atar bread (see below).
Tips & alternatives
Za’atar spice mix
Grind 50g toasted sesame seeds in food processor or with a mortar and pestle. Stir in 2 tbsp dried thyme leaves, 2 tbsp dried oregano leaves, 2 tbsp sumac and 1 tbsp cumin seeds with 1 tbsp salt and a pinch of paprika. Keep in an airtight jar and sprinkle over fish, meat or halloumi before grilling.
Crisp za’atar bread
Split 2 pittas through the middle into 4 rounds. Brush all over with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with 2 tbsp za’atar spice mix (see above recipe). Place under a medium grill and toast until crisp.
* * *
Photo and Simple Avocado Salad recipe courtesy of BBC Good Food Middle East