Total Time: 45 minutes
|Nutritional per serving|
Warm yourself up with this wholesome, delicious Spicy Lentil Soup recipe. Seasoned with the exotic flavours from Morocco’s ras el hanout – a spice mix that consists of over a dozen of lovely aromatic spices – and spicy harissa paste, this comforting vegetable soup is easy to make and undeniably delectable.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 5 to 6 large carrots
- Fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- 1 cup red lentils
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- 2 teaspoons ras el hanout
- Nigella or black caraway (for garnish)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- Chop onion, carrots and sweet potato.
- In a large pot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the onions for 6 to 8 minutes.
- When they’re transluscent, toss in the sweet potato, carrots, lentils, and spices.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil.
- Once it’s boiling, reduce to a gentle simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
- When the vegetables are soft, let the soup cool for a few minutes before using an immersion blender to blitz it until smooth and creamy.
- Taste the soup and season, adding a little more harissa if you’re feeling bold.
- Ladle some into a bowl, top with a big spoonful of Greek yogurt, a sprinkle of nigella, and cilantro, and dinner is served!
Recipe and photo courtesy of Food52