Total Time: 30 minutes
|Nutritional per serving|
Steamed salmon is super easy to prepare, high in protein and unsaturated fat (the good kind). Adding some good quality green veggies makes this an awesome evening meal for anyone with an appetite for healthy food.
Its also one of the simplest recipes in our archives, and it’s super low in carbs so ideal for anyone following a low carb or ketogenic diet. Read on to learn how long to steam salmon in an electric steamer – the simplest way!
- 200g salmon fillet (about 280 kcal)
- For the marinade: Juice of ½ lemon, 1 clove garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 200g mixed green vegetables of your choice
- 100g asparagus
Steamed Salmon Directions
- For the marinade, add the marinade ingredients to a small bowl and mix well.
- Place the salmon fillet in a bowl or cooking dish, coat the fillet in the marinade and place in the fridge for 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare the vegetables by placing them in an electric steamer on the upper section.
- Remove the salmon from the fridge and place it on the lower shelf of the steamer.
- Set the steamer to 20 mins and start.
- Everything should then be ready at the same time.
Tips & alternatives
Investing in an electric steamer is a great idea for steamed salmon as it reduces cooking time and keeps things simple. In particular, when steaming fish it’s possible to cook everything together within 20 minutes. If you can’t get a steamer, you could always steam your vegetables using an alternative method, for example, you can get a silicon steamer insert very cheap from Amazon. This just sits inside one of your normal saucepans and allows you to steam vegetables in 5-10 minutes.
To bake the salmon in the oven you can simply put your salmon fillet in a cooking dish and bake it for 10-15 minutes at 190ºC or place in a sealed foil packet and bake for 25 minutes at the same temperature. The latter method allows you to keep all of the marinade together, however, I recommend investing in an electric steamer as it will simplify everything.