Total Time: 1 hour
|Nutritional per serving|
We have a growing archive of vegetarian and vegan recipes and this awesome Vegan Black Bean Chilli from VegKitchen is a worthy addition. It’s easy to prepare and each hearty bowl sports an interesting combination of rich, sweet and spicy flavours.
Makes 6-8 servings
- 2 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cans (425 grams each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 800 grams diced tomatoes ( fire-roasted)
- 1 or 2 small fresh hot chillies, seeded and minced, or one 220-gram can chopped mild green chilies
- 2 teaspoons good-quality chili powder, or more, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 grams minced fresh cilantro, or more, to taste, plus more for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Bake or microwave the sweet potatoes until just firm.
- When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into ½ to ¾-inch dice. Set aside until needed. Or, you can scrub or peel them, dice, and steam in a small amount of water until just done.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the cilantro and salt.
- Add ½ cup water, bring to a slow boil, then lower the heat and cover.
- Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato dice and continue to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until the vegetables are tender and all the flavors are nicely melded.
- Stir in the cilantro, then season gently with salt.
- If time allows, let stand off the heat for an hour or two, then heat through as needed.
- Top each serving with extra cilantro, if desired.
Recipe and photo courtesy of VegKitchen